Equal Opportunities....

We are an equal opportunity family. I come from a three generations of teachers, folks who liked and appreciated public schools, who believe in education and assume one is finishing at least one college degree if not three. Enter my own four children. We did the traditional thing, we sent them to the school where I taught. It seemed easy enough and it worked well for us for the first eight years for my older son. Then we moved to a rural community where we flat loved the education they were getting. It was more focused on the entire development of the child. A place that received great annual scores, yet the children still learned Bible verses in some classrooms despite it being a public school. Virtues were taught and discipline expected. Girls still learned how to cook and sew and boys were mandatorily sent through Hunter Education as well as shop and building classes. Of course, consolidation closed that school three years ago....despite it having the 4th highest scores in the state. You see they couldn't risk telling the big monied schools that a little poor dunk school 28 miles from anywhere in 12 rooms could education 12 grades and provide gifted programs that took away every prize in the competitions.....while providing a moral education. Entirely too dangerous for No Child Left Behind and its rules.
We had to do the right thing for us. My oldest son attended the new local school in the public in our rural town. They had 40 graduates that year when he entered as a 10th grader. Son2 needed a school with more academic challenge as well as sports, so because our local school had none, we paid tuition to drive him 30 miles each way for Christian school. Our daughter2 though did not "fit" academically in that school or the rural school and we drove her 20 miles in the other direction for a smaller Christian school there. This was also the year my mom was diagnosed with cancer while I am still public school teaching. Can you say stressed out, exhausted mom? The calendar of schools events were alone exhausting.
At the end of the year, Son1 and Son2 were happy with their results and we were happy with their demeanor and scores. Daughter however, had straight A's yet couldn't perform the simplest Math as a 3rd grader. She is highly bright but sees the world differently literally and the dysgraphia affects her classroom time. I have taught special education, behavior disordered and highly gifted children for 17 years publically at the university level to preparation teachers as well as personally in the classroom of public schools. My husband asked "If we can sacrifice for everyone else's child to get the tutoring and help you give them.....why aren't we homeschooling? "Homeschooling?.....I cried out in angst at the thought of it.....my child is a bundle of energy....one who requires much patience....homeschooling would mean I am 100% totally responsible for her preparation for life" The fretting began. I fought it, I said "we cannot afford for me to come home" and I believed it. I said "she'll miss her friends at school" and every other lame excuse that was the watchwords on why you don't homeschool. But God had a plan.....and you know God.....He doesn't forget what He tells you to do and He doesn't give up on His plan..... (to be continued)

0 comments: